Saturday, April 23, 2011

"ManU" - is this really an insult?

I just finished watching Manchester United defeat Everton 1-0 on a fantastic goal by steal of the year - Chicarito.

While watching the game, I followed the live blog on the Score Mobile Application. Throughout the blog and comments by other readers, the term "ManU" was used quite often.  As a fan from Canada, I think I follow Manchester United closely, although, I would never consider myself as in touch or up to date with the club in terms of history and news as someone who lives in the UK, espeically Manchester, but I do consider myself somewhat knowledgeable, at least compared to North American soccer fans.  As I've grown in my knowledge of the club, I was correct early on that the term "ManU" was insulting to use when referring the club.   I always refer to the club as Manchester United, United or if I'm writing in a hurry Man.Utd. But should I be so careful around this subject?

The reason most United fans believe referring to the club as "ManU" is insulting as due to songs by rival clubs. Liverpool and Leeds and West Brom for example:

West Brom:
"Duncan Edwards is manure, rotting in his grave, man you are manure- rotting in your grave".

Liverpool and Leeds came up with something to the effect of:

"ManU ManU went on a plane ManU ManU never came back again"

and "ManU Never Intended Coming Home" Notice the first letter of each word spells Munich, of course referring to the disaster of 1958.

Commemorative Plaques in tunnel at Old Trafford




Based on the information, I had, I always refer to the club as Manchester United.  So, when I see posts in blogs, forums, etc using the term "ManU" I often think of them as casual fans that don't know the history. I don't correct them, because I used that term in the early days of supporting the club myself and eventually came to know some history.  I figure they will do the same.

In Canada and the US, we see and hear the term "ManU" throughout the media, I think it's a bit unprofessional, however the vast majority of North American fans and especially media have no idea of the clubs history. We are learning - Be Patient!


When I decided I would write about this, I figured I would do a little bit of digging to try and get my facts straight before someone who knows them sets me straight.  I came away from this investigation, a bit confused.  There seems to be substantial debate on whether the term "ManU" is an insult or just a myth. Many fans with ties to older generations of United fans claim that the term "ManU" was used by the media and the club.

So, the question is should United supporters get upset when the club is referred to as "ManU"?

My own personal opinion is that although the term may have been used prior to the disaster, the songs and insults by other clubs is enough for me to not use that term since they now seem to be connected - at least in my mind.  I have, however, now realized that there seems to be two sides to this debate and perhaps my own feelings towards the phrase "ManU", do not reflect others feelings in using this phrase.

Bottom line: Support Manchester United, call them what you think is appropriate, we are all Red!

My two cents....

No comments:

Post a Comment